2022 NEW MEMBER AUDITION PROCESS
Woodwinds, Brass & Electric Bass
All new CMB students have to audition for a position in the Cavalier Marching Band. If you intend to audition for the CMB, FILL OUT THIS FORM in order for us to learn about you and your interests!
TO SUBMIT YOUR RECORDED AUDITION:
- Download the Audition packet that corresponds with your instrument (individually linked below)
- Record a video of yourself playing Virginia Swing, Cavalier Fanfare, Cavalier Song, and March On Cavaliers with this Drumline MP3. NOTE: Play the Cavalier Song while marking time in place through measure 33.
- Next, without drumline, perform your scales with a metronome within the listed tempo range.
- Next, without drumline, perform the Good Old Song.
- Finally, record a 1-3 minute selection of your choosing that represents your abilities as a player.
- Once these recordings are completed, please compile them into one file, upload to your preferred web-based platform (Google Drive, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.), and share an accessible link with the directors using this form-CMB AUDITION GOOGLE FORM.
Deadline to submit a recording is July 31.
ALTERNATIVELY, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PERFORM A LIVE AUDITION
If you prefer an in-person audition in Charlottesville this summer, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Live Audition,” and the Band Directors will respond to schedule your live audition.
AUDITION PACKETS BY INSTRUMENT
If you are interested in auditioning for the CMB Drumline, FILL OUT THIS FORM. After submitting your information, download a PDF of our audition packet linked below. If you have questions, please write Assistant Director Brandon West.
The Second round of the 2022-2023 auditions will be held on Grounds August 13th. This audition is for rising first year students and anyone who has not yet auditioned for the CMB drumline.
Here is the 2nd ROUND AUDITION PACKET. This is one document that contains all of the music for every section. Please refer to the printing guide for your convenience:
Every section should print and read page 1-3 and the pages below listed for the instrument for which you plan to audition.
- Snares: pgs. 4-15, 48-49
- Tenors: pgs. 16-27, 48-49
- Basses: pgs. 28-40, 48-49
- Cymbals: pgs. 41-47, 48-49
- Mallets: pg. 50
For your Convenience, practice tracks for many of the exercises have been created for you, please find them HERE.
You will need to submit a video of your playing following the directions in the packet to THIS LINK by July 31.
CMB Drumline instrumentation is snare, tenor drum, bass drum, cymbal & mallets (mallets are required to perform on cymbals as well).
Color Guard / Twirler
If you are interested in auditioning for the CMB Drumline, FILL OUT THIS FORM. The CMB is in the process of hiring a new colorguard coach. For that reason, 2022 Audition information will be released by June 1. Here is a glimpse of last year's requirements for reference.
Familiarize yourself with our Cavalier Marching Band Color Guard techniques by watching THIS VIDEO.
Record yourself doing the following elements and submit a progress video for review by July 31.
- 20 counts of drop spins starting from right flat with a drop-stop ending on counts 19 + 20.
- Full cones/figure 8 exercise with optional one handed carving exercise.
- 10 counts of 5 pull/pole hits - 10 counts of 5 sets of thumb flips.
- 3 sets of pop tosses - adjust to the revolution that you’re able to do.
- 3 sets of money hand tosses - both 3 counts and 4 count tosses (or as you’re able to) - 6 total
- 3 sets of J-tosses - both 3 count s and 4 count tosses - 6 total
- In addition, please end the video with a short 30-45 second routine of what you feel is your best work. Whether it’s your favorite phrase from your high school guard, or a short routine you made up, this will help us understand where you are from a performance perspective. Incorporating dance and body within your choreography will help us understand your ability to combine multiple elements at once, but we know color guard programs approach both skill sets very differently.
Feel free to include music in the background, if you wish. If you have experience with rifle or sabre, you may include additional footage of your skill set on either equipment, up to 45 seconds of each CG weapon.
To apply for a feature twirler position at the University of Virginia, please submit a biography (PDF) that summarizes your twirling background, your past instruction, and significant performances/awards in your history. Also submit a video that includes performance with 1 and 2-3 batons and demonstrates talented skill sets that are unique to you! Videos may be in full costume or practice wear with twirling shoes. Some of the essential skills required to be a Virginia Feature Twirler include:
- the ability to complete a toss illusion
- toss three-spin
- a variety of rolls
- creative body work and flexibility
- gymnastic skills are encouraged but not required.
May 1: Biography and video submission deadline- first round
May 20: We will contact each applicant shortly after the first round. If selected, we will set up an virtual interview - second round
June 18: Invitation and live in-person audition with band director(s), coach Brittany Kellaway, NBTA judge, and former University of Virginia feature twirlers. This audition should include the elements and essential skills articulated above. -final round
Send your materials or questions to the CMB directors and baton twirling coach at email@example.com.